This is the third in a series of vegetarian Bulgarian recipes from Krista Gelev that we’re featuring. Look out for new recipes every month!
A chilled cucumber & yogurt soup
As we approach the end of the school year, I present the quintessential Bulgarian addition to any summer feast. The tanginess of the yogurt complements the zest of the garlic, and dill lends the recipe freshness. Tarator is similar to Greek tzatziki, but lighter in consistency and more refreshing. Evokes sun-stained summer lunches between swims on the Black Sea Coast
- 1 container of plain yogurt
- 2-3 cucumbers
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- Fresh parsley or dill
- (Optional) ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- Finely chop the cucumbers. Salt them liberally, and place in a colander to drain excess water. Chop the herbs and garlic, and combine with the cucumber in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil, then yogurt to the mixture. Continue to mix, adding water until a thin, soupy consistency is reached.
- Drizzle olive oil overhead, along with a crumble of chopped walnut as desired.
-Krista Gelev, class of 2018